Shop Shop (0)find us on facebook
Maine Preservation
Divider
Divider

Lamb Block, Livermore Falls

Lamb Block, Livermore Falls

Lamb Block BEFORE     Lamb Block AFTER

Built in 1895 by John F. Lamb, the Lamb Block was the first commercial brick structure of its size on Depot Street in Livermore Falls.

Harnessing Main Street’s post-civil war character, the Lamb Block consists of a first-floor storefront, second floor offices and a large third floor meeting hall.

Lack of maintenance over the years led to decay and a deteriorated appearance. Adjoining construction contributed to a loss of integrity in the original structure.

After completing the Androscoggin Valley Medical Arts Center the year prior, new owner Kevin Bunker saw this project as the next step to revitalizing downtown Livermore Falls. The Town approved a $400,000 Communities for Maine’s Future bond application, which received the top rating by the State review panel, but the money was not released.  Maine Dept. of Economic and Community Development (DECD) and Maine Rural Development Authority then worked to find bridge financing for the project.

As part of the rehabilitation effort, historic moldings, fixtures, lighting and wood floors were restored to their original state. Adjoining non-historic buildings were removed and exterior damages repaired. The masonry exterior was repointed creating an authentic look.

The building houses the Western Maine Family Health Center on the third floor, while the first and second floors seek motivated professional offices and/or cafes.

The restoration of this historic landmark has helped keep Livermore Falls’ local heritage alive and thriving. For the dedication and vision of those involved, Maine Preservation is pleased to present a 2013 Honor Award for the adaptive use of Lamb Block.

 

Receiving the award are:

Kevin Bunker, Lamb Block Associates LLC

David Webster & Becca Casey, PDT Architects

Kristal Flagg, Town Manager, Livermore Falls

Mike O’Reilly, Bangor Savings Bank

George Gervais, State of Maine, Dept. of Economic and Community Development (DECD) and Rural Development Authority

Sutherland Conservation & Consulting

Alison Hagerstom, Greater Franklin Development Corporation

Not here tonight: Hebert Construction & Richard Bradstreet, Custom Masonry

Protect & Sell Program

McCulloch House The historically and architecturally significant Hugh McCulloch House in Kennebunk, constructed ca. 1782, is now for sale for the first time since 1801, through our Protect & Sell Program! Read more about the McCulloch House in our Historic Real Estate listings.

Honor Awards

Maine Preservation's 20th Honor AwardsIMG_1305 Will be held on Tuesday, November 7th

from 5:00-8:00 p.m. at the Portland Country Club

Celebrate extraordinary Preservation project around the state.

 

 

For more information: visit here.

Field Services

Demo Maine Preservation offers preservation guidance to the stewards of historic buildings in Maine from our professional Field Service Advisor, Christopher Closs. His advice can help get a project off the ground, find resources, or steer a project in the right direction. read more...

Industry Leader Sponsors

Taggart Construction Logo NorthlandlogoPTF logo TS_HorizBlue-Vectornormalsize

Coastal Enterprises  Inc. - Becker Structural Engineers, Inc. - SMRT, INC. - Fathom Management, LLC - Maine Magazine - Thompson's Point


Divider
© 2017 Maine Preservation | 233 West Main Street, Yarmouth, ME 04096 | (207) 847-3577 | info@mainepreservation.org

×