Shop Shop (0)find us on facebook
Maine Preservation
Divider
Divider

Moody Chapel, Fairfield

 

 Moody Chapel, Fairfield

Moody Chapel BEFORE      Moody Chapel AFTER

The Moody Chapel, built 1896, was designed by Bangor architect W.E. Mansur in the Romanesque Revival style.

The building was on the original campus of the Good Will Hinckley School for underprivileged children. Faith was the center of the school’s teachings due to the strong religious influence of its founder, George Hinckley.

Decreasing enrollment and financial challenges recently forced the school to reduce its asset portfolio. The Moody Chapel though treasured became an endangered piece of Maine’s history.

In 2012, thanks to a generous gift of the Harold Alfond Foundation, a substantial piece of the campus was acquired by Kennebec Valley Community College, the largest expansion in its history. A dedicated effort between KVCC, the Alfond Foundation and a team of preservation professionals saved this significant masonry structure.

The project team undertook extensive pre-planning to avoid unforeseen complications. This careful and calculated planning process is a best practice in how to achieve the highest degree of quality and efficiency in preservation projects. The project required reattachment of veneer stones to the wall core, rebuilding of the two buttresses at the front of the building, development of a mechanical system and staples to anchor elements to the wall, a deep repointing of all the masonry, installation of new bell platform roof and reinstalling finishes in lobby of the tower.

In a distinctive new college campus where a number of historic structures are located, this project inaugurates the transition of KVCC with the successful preservation of a landmark. Maine Preservation is pleased to present a 2013 Honor Award for the restoration of Moody Chapel.

Receiving the award are:

Richard Hopper, President, Kennebec Valley Community College

Scott Whitaker, Building Envelope Specialists Inc. Tony Coviello, Summit Engineering

Amy Cole-Ives, Sutherland Conservation and Consultants Gary Gnazzo, Joseph Gnazzo Co.

Also receiving a certificate: Harold Alfond Foundation

Protect & Sell Program

McCulloch House The historically and architecturally significant Hugh McCulloch House in Kennebunk, constructed ca. 1782, is now for sale for the first time since 1801, through our Protect & Sell Program! Read more about the McCulloch House in our Historic Real Estate listings.

Honor Awards

Maine Preservation's 20th Honor AwardsIMG_1305 Will be held on Tuesday, November 7th

from 5:00-8:00 p.m. at the Portland Country Club

Celebrate extraordinary Preservation project around the state.

 

 

For more information: visit here.

Field Services

Demo Maine Preservation offers preservation guidance to the stewards of historic buildings in Maine from our professional Field Service Advisor, Christopher Closs. His advice can help get a project off the ground, find resources, or steer a project in the right direction. read more...

Industry Leader Sponsors

Taggart Construction Logo NorthlandlogoPTF logo TS_HorizBlue-Vectornormalsize

Coastal Enterprises  Inc. - Becker Structural Engineers, Inc. - SMRT, INC. - Fathom Management, LLC - Maine Magazine - Thompson's Point


Divider
© 2017 Maine Preservation | 233 West Main Street, Yarmouth, ME 04096 | (207) 847-3577 | info@mainepreservation.org

×