Shop Shop (0)find us on facebook
Maine Preservation
Divider
Divider

Emery School Apartments, Biddeford

Emery School Apartments, Biddeford

Emery School Apartments BEFORE                        Emery School Apartments AFTER

The Emery School was built in 1913 in the Georgian Revival style. The original architect was Miller and Mayo who designed many other schools and public buildings in the state.

Named after beloved local teacher Thomas Emery, the school served a community of mostly French Canadian mill workers.

When the public school closed in 1993, it was used for day care until 2007. Since then, the vacant building grew to be more and more of a burden to the City.

Developers Collaborative and Avesta Housing teamed up to redevelop the former school in 2011 into elderly housing.

The work to restore the building was extensive, including 100% repointing of the masonry building envelope, and chimneys and interior millwork. Unfortunately, asbestos in the plaster required the expense of its wholesale removal. Within the new senior housing facility, the “feel” of the old school was maintained, especially the large open corridor spaces and historic stage which now serves as shared community space.

With its advantageous location near downtown and a large residential district, this former liability has transformed into a neighborhood anchor and a historic landmark, providing homes for 24 Biddeford area seniors. Maine Preservation is pleased to present a 2013 Honor Award for the adaptive use of the Emery School Apartments.

Receiving the award are:

Matthew Peters, Avesta Housing – Owners

Kevin Bunker, Developers Collaborative

David Lloyd, Sally Archetype Architects

Christine Beard, Tremont Preservation Services

Also receiving certificates: AlliedCook Construction

Structural Design Consultants Inc.

Mechanical Systems Engineering Inc.

Bartlett Design Inc.

DeLuca-Hoffman Associates, Inc.

 

 

Protect & Sell Program

McCulloch House The historically and architecturally significant Hugh McCulloch House in Kennebunk, constructed ca. 1782, is now for sale for the first time since 1801, through our Protect & Sell Program! Read more about the McCulloch House in our Historic Real Estate listings.

Honor Awards

Maine Preservation's 20th Honor AwardsIMG_1305 Will be held on Tuesday, November 7th

from 5:00-8:00 p.m. at the Portland Country Club

Celebrate extraordinary Preservation project around the state.

 

 

For more information: visit here.

Field Services

Demo Maine Preservation offers preservation guidance to the stewards of historic buildings in Maine from our professional Field Service Advisor, Christopher Closs. His advice can help get a project off the ground, find resources, or steer a project in the right direction. read more...

Industry Leader Sponsors

Taggart Construction Logo NorthlandlogoPTF logo TS_HorizBlue-Vectornormalsize

Coastal Enterprises  Inc. - Becker Structural Engineers, Inc. - SMRT, INC. - Fathom Management, LLC - Maine Magazine - Thompson's Point


Divider
© 2017 Maine Preservation | 233 West Main Street, Yarmouth, ME 04096 | (207) 847-3577 | info@mainepreservation.org

×