Shop Shop (0)find us on facebook
Maine Preservation
Divider
Divider

Porter Memorial Library, Machias

Porter Memorial Library, Machias

Porter Memorial Library BEFORE    Porter Memorial Library AFTER

Porter Memorial Library, circa 1890, is named after local attorney Rufus Porter and his son, Henry. Rufus was a library enthusiast when lending libraries were starting to develop in the form of social clubs.

After the Civil War, son Henry, made a fortune buying and selling railroads and subsequently donated $10,500 to construct a granite library. Within its rich Romanesque Revival-style, the chimney itself is said to contain ballast stones from the Revolutionary War ship Margaretta.

In the past two decades, the library trustees have shown their determination to preserve the granite envelope. An eighteen year restoration effort proved unsuccessful when the building began to leak and sustain water damage soon after work ended in 2004. The trustees courageously responded to the rehab and public relations dilemma. They hired Scott Whitaker of Building Envelope Specialists to make recommendations. To help fund the project, trustee Paula Holm wrote and won grant awards from Maine Community Foundation, the King Family Foundation and Davis Family Foundation.

An in-depth forensic assessment was conducted, which recommended appropriate actions to address problems and retain the building’s historic integrity. Repointing the mortar joints to the correct historic profile resulted in protection from water infiltration. Installation of thru-flashing under the wall caps prevented water infiltration into the walls.

After full exterior rehabilitation, the building is now in excellent condition and able to respond properly to the harsh seacoast weather. Maine Preservation is pleased to present a 2013 Honor Award for the restoration of Porter Memorial Library.

Receiving the award are:

Lee McBride, Director, Porter Memorial Library

Scott Whitaker, Stephen Jones, David Douglas – Building Envelope Specialists

Gary Gnazzo Joseph Gnazzo Company; Daniel  Allen Roofing and Sheet Metal Company

Also receiving certificates: Davis Family Foundation, King Family Foundation, Maine Community Foundation

Protect & Sell Program

McCulloch House The historically and architecturally significant Hugh McCulloch House in Kennebunk, constructed ca. 1782, is now for sale for the first time since 1801, through our Protect & Sell Program! Read more about the McCulloch House in our Historic Real Estate listings.

Honor Awards

IMG_1305Maine Preservation's 19th Honor Awards will be held on November 16th from 5-8:30 p.m.  

Come celebrate skilled work on key historic buildings in Maine.

 

For more information: visit here.

Field Services

Demo Maine Preservation offers preservation guidance to the stewards of historic buildings in Maine from our professional Field Service Advisor, Christopher Closs. His advice can help get a project off the ground, find resources, or steer a project in the right direction. read more...

Industry Leader Sponsors

mainebiz tag clr   mhd_logoPTF logo

TS_HorizBlue-VectornormalsizeNorthlandlogoMWA-signage-v1Taggart Construction LogoThompsonsPoint_logo_compass_whitesquarenorway savings bank hi res


Divider
© 2017 Maine Preservation | 233 West Main Street, Yarmouth, ME 04096 | (207) 847-3577 | info@mainepreservation.org

×