2015 Maine Preservation Honor Awards
The Maine Preservation Honor Awards recognize excellence in historic preservation throughout the state, and highlight the importance of preservation, rehabilitation, and adaptive use of historic landmarks in Maine. The 2015 Honor Awards ceremony was held Wednesday, November 18th, at the Portland Country Club in Falmouth, and honored sixteen projects and one individual from a list of nominees submitted last summer. Those honored included individuals, property owners, architects, developers, contractors, preservation consultants, and other team members who demonstrated great achievement and best practices in historic preservation in Maine.
Each of the recognized projects helped to fulfill community needs, while providing a boost to the economy and the real estate industry throughout the state. Since 2008, 70 privately developed projects have injected more than a third-of-a-billion dollars ($350 million) into the state’s construction economy through the use of Maine Historic Preservation Tax Credits. Ten projects honored this year used these credits.
The Honorees for 2015:
Hallowell Granite Works Office
The former Hallowell Granite Works Office, built ca. 1830, and its neighbor are all that remain of Hallowell’s once-extensive granite complex. The current owners, Jim Duncklee and Ken Nott, bought the property in 2013 to relocate their growing business to vibrant downtown Hallowell. The worn condition of the building required extensive rehabilitation, from foundation to roof and from infrastructure to finishes. State and federal tax credits helped make this project a reality. With the help of Lachman Architects and Planners and Brad Hendrickson Builders, this historic property was transformed into a prominent attraction at the center of the local and national Hallowell historic districts. The owners now have a high-quality office space with desirable walk-to-Main Street housing on the upper floors. The completed project serves as an example of the ways that rehabilitation and revitalization have positive economic effects and enormous impact on the life of a small community.
For more information about this project, please contact Jim Duncklee at email@example.com.
Silver Street Tavern Building, Waterville
Formerly known as the Milliken Block, the Silver Street Tavern located at the corner of Maine and Silver streets, was commissioned by Waterville National Bank in 1877 and designed by architect Moses C. Foster. In the early 20th century, O.J. Giguere purchased the building to house his clothing and footwear store. In 2011, Charles Giguere (not related to O.J.) bought the property at auction and made use of federal and state Historic Tax Credits to rehabilitate the vacant upper floors into offices and housing. Along with his project team – including SD Construction, Sutherland Conservation & Consulting, Kico Tasalaqua, and Mark McDonough – Giguere restored all existing doors and trim for reuse, and retained and reused historic architectural details. Two apartment units were created on the third floor within the existing footprints of the former units. This small-scale project transformed derelict spaces into usable apartments and offices, while also maintaining the building’s historic integrity within the Waterville Historic District.
For more information about this project, please contact Charlie Giguere at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Powers Hall, University of Maine, Machias
The University of Maine, Machias (UMM) traces its history to 1910, when the Washington State Normal School began training elementary school teachers for jobs throughout eastern Maine. In 1937, over 500 people attended the formal opening of a new administrative and classroom building, Powers Hall. Nearly eighty years later, however, Powers Hall suffered from the effects of age and moisture infiltration, resulting in significant spalling of the soft brick and damage to the decoration on the entry portico. The project faced many challenges including the detection of PCBs, which required abatement. Through the tireless efforts of Building Envelope Specialists, Inc., Knowles Industrial Services, CES, Inc., and Safe Environmental Solutions, the building was restored to its historic significance. Thanks to the committed leadership of the University of Maine, Machias and the University of Maine System, Powers Hall will continue to serve students for generations to come.
For more information about this project, please contact University of Maine, Machias at email@example.com.
Eastport Post Office, Eastport
Originally the Eastport Customs House, the building now known as the Eastport Post Office was constructed in 1891 in the Italianate style. It was one of 26 buildings constructed after a fire decimated the town’s commercial district. The post office is a contributing building in the Eastport Historic District, added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. By 2011, the damage to slate shingles and a malfunctioning copper gutter system had allowed water to penetrate the building, and the masonry had also suffered significant damage. Restoration of the post office was challenging. Some of the granite stones weighed as much as 3,000 pounds. 80% of the structure’s east side required rebuilding, and this work required the removal and numbering of each stone. The work was conducted from the ground up, employing temporary shoring measures and reinforced staging to carry the weight of the stones above. Despite these difficulties, the project team consisting of the U.S. Postal Service, WBRC Architects-Engineers, Building Envelope Specialists, and Joseph Gnazzo Company, completed on time and within budget. Today, the Eastport Post Office has been repaired to its original condition. Restoration of the structure preserved one of the great architectural landmarks in Downeast Maine.
For more information on this project, please contact Andrew Stein, New England Project Manager, United States Post Office at Andrew.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kora Temple, Lewiston
Kora Temple in Lewiston was built in 1908 for the Kora Shrine, a fraternal and charitable organization established in 1891. Designed by architect and Shrine member George M. Coombs, the building reflects Moorish and Exotic Revival architectural styles. The temple was added to the National Register in 1975. But over time, architectural features suffered significant deterioration and damage. Moisture penetrated the terracotta, causing structural steel to rust and expand, which displaced and damaged terracotta columns. The building’s galvanized steel cornice also peeled and chipped, leaving many exposed areas. This project repaired terracotta units and the cornice and decorative metal units along the roof edge. Building Envelope Specialists, Inc. and Joseph Gnazzo Company broke the work into phases to provide the Kora Temple Association Trustees an affordable course of action for restoration. The result is a restoration that preserves the architectural and cultural history of Kora Temple. Returned to its original splendor, the restored temple has significant presence, and a positive impact on the streetscape of downtown Lewiston.
For more information on this project, please call the Kora Shrine Temple Association at email@example.com.
Campbell Barn, Augusta
The timber-framed Campbell Barn, built in 1903, was the last of a series of buildings designed for the Augusta Mental Health Institute. Unused since the 1950s, Campbell Barn had fallen into disrepair. Without a clear vision for its future, no funding was available to maintain or restore the barn. But, as a result of renewed interest in State-owned space, the East Campus of the Augusta Mental Health Institute became a hub of increased construction and restoration. During this process, it became clear that there was a need for additional storage to house field equipment and supplies for state agencies. And this encouraged the Maine Bureau of General Services to revitalize the historic Campbell Barn. An excellent team was assembled to give the barn a new life, including Maine Bureau of General Services, Maine Historic Preservation Commission, The Heritage Company Coppersmiths, Hewett & Whitney Engineers, Randolph D. Scamfer, JARR Management, Lajoie Brothers, Lapointe Lumber, Newcombe Welding, and Kevin Boucher Painting. State agencies moved equipment into Campbell Barn at the end of August 2015. Restoration and rehabilitation provided usable space to support the revitalization of the East Campus of the AMHI and rewarded the Bureau of General Services’ efforts to transform and re-use state-owned buildings across Maine.
For more information, please contact Ed Dahl, Director, Bureau of General Services at Ed.Dahl@Maine.gov.
Hanscom Hall, Gould Academy, Bethel
Established in 1836, Gould Academy is a coed college preparatory school, located in Bethel. Hanscom Hall, the fifth major addition to Gould Academy, opened in 1934. Twenty-first century educational practices drove alterations to the first two levels of the structure. Beginning in 2012, a hardworking design committee strove to craft a bold new vision for the hall. Alumni identified building features that were most important to them, and current students and faculty joined the design process. Recognizing the historic value of the facility, an emphasis was placed on preserving, repurposing, or replicating original building materials. The library renovation design created a modern zoned-learning commons. The lower level was transformed into a large collaborative studio with additional studios for prototyping. Historic materials were also reused in unique ways; the slate from old chalkboards was repurposed and re-engineered to make writable walls in the café space, the granite from old bathroom stalls was cut and buffed to create walls and heater covers, the cement floor was polished to retain the markings of boundaries of past classroom walls. Gould Academy designed an innovative and collaborative learning environment that is on the leading edge of educational practices, all while retaining enduring building materials and principles which connect the institution’s traditions and mission to modern practices. It’s a renewed, revitalized landmark of which Bethel can be proud.
Maine Preservation recognized the following team members for their contributions to this project: Scott Simons Architects, Casco Bay Engineering, Warren Construction, Camden National Bank, Hahnel Brothers Company, Allied Engineering, H.P. Cummings Construction, Bellefleur Masonry, DeBlois Electric, Favreau Electric, Johnson & Jordan Mechanical Contractors, Exactitude, Inc., Windham Millwork, Inc., Architectural Doors & Windows, Cumberland County Glass, Paul G. White Interior Solutions, Capozza Tile & Floor Covering, D.W. Wilson & Co. Excavating, Sprinkler Systems, Inc., The Tony & Renee Marlon Charitable Foundation.
For more information on this project, please contact Gould Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coles Tower, Bowdoin College, Brunswick
Coles Tower is an iconic symbol of the social change that transformed Bowdoin College and other schools in the 1960s and 1970s. Prominent architect Hugh Stubbins designed the sixteen-story building — Maine’s tallest at the time of its completion in 1964. Unfortunately, over time the façade developed cracking mortar joints, spalling limestone windowsills, broken lintels, damaged bricks, and general leaking of the inset balconies.
Bowdoin College saw the 50th anniversary of Coles Tower as an opportunity to provide updated residential space for students while restoring the significant mid-century modern building to its original appearance. Logistical challenges stemming from the exterior geometry required careful planning to access the hard-to-reach exteriors. This included engineering roof tie-offs for swing staging to access soffits of the inset windows. Boom and scissor lifts were needed to complete brick repair, the patching of limestone windowsills and the deteriorated concrete soffits. Restoration efforts, completed this year ensured a safe living space for 200 students, while restoring the building to its original appearance. The completed tower is once again a community icon, a symbol of innovation, and a social magnet for Bowdoin’s student population. The award recognizes project team members: Bowdoin College, Harriman Architects, Consigli Construction, Portland Glass, Stimpson Gumpertz & Heger, Seacoast Scaffold & Equipment, Safe Approach, and Standard Waterproofing.
For more information on this project, please contact John Simoneau at email@example.com.
Nathan Clifford Residences, Portland
John Calvin Stevens designed the Classical Revival-style Nathan Clifford School in 1907-09. The school served as an anchor of the Oakdale neighborhood for over one hundred years, but closed to much controversy in 2011. Developers Collaborative purchased the vacant and deteriorating building in 2013 to create a residential complex with one-, two- and three-bedroom units. The auditorium was converted into apartment space, and architectural trim, doors, cabinets, chalkboards, and corridors were preserved. 116 wooden windows took the place of inoperable aluminum windows and 18 historic windows in the stairways were repaired. The total cost of the project was $7 million, and benefited from federal and state historic tax credits. Under the leadership of Developers Collaborative and its project team including, Archetype Architects, Tremont Preservation, Cito Selinger, Otis Atwell, CCB, Inc., Fay, Spofford & Thorndike, Ransom Environmental Consultants, Androscoggin Bank, Coastal Enterprises, Inc., and Richard Berman, the Nathan Clifford project preserved the historic integrity of a neighborhood landmark, and created valuable housing as well as a popular community park. The project has become a prominent and popular example of a successful public-private partnership in Maine’s largest city.
For more information on this project, please contact Developers Collaborative at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unity Food Hub, Unity
The three-room Unity Village School, built in 1898, once boasted more than 160 students. But in 1953, the town erected a new and larger elementary school across the street. The building then remained vacant for 6 decades, and fell into serious disrepair. The brick foundation deteriorated, causing damage to interior features. In 2013, recognizing the potential of the vacant rural schoolhouse, Maine Farmland Trust bought the building as a home for the Unity Food Hub. State and federal historic tax credits were used to help make the project financially viable. Many original interior features such as the beadboard walls, wainscoting and ceilings, hardwood floors, and molded window and door trim were retained. Thanks to the vision and tireless efforts of Maine Farmland Trust, Unity Food Hub General Manager, Matt Tremblay, Amanda Austin of 2A Architects, LLC, Sutherland Conservation & Consulting, Ganneston Construction, Gartley & Dorsky Engineering, and Credere Associates, LLC, the Food Hub now functions as a space for local gatherings, food workshops, community activities and local farmers to meet and distribute produce. The once-abandoned school has become a vibrant shared space that, today, enhances the community, while reminding visitors of treasured traditions from Maine’s rural past.
For more information about this project, please contact John Piotti at email@example.com.
Cony Flatiron Apartments, Augusta
Located on the Cony Circle in Augusta, Cony High School was completed in 1932. Designed in the Colonial Revival style by Bunker & Savage, the school was unusual for its curved front entrance and signature flat iron- shape. In 1984, the school was renovated and many of the original windows were removed and infilled with brick. Cony High School was added to the National Register in 1988 and used as a high school until 2006 when it became vacant. In a dramatic transformation initiated in 2013 by Housing Initiatives of New England Corporation, the old Cony High School became Cony Flatiron Senior Residence, a sparkling complex with 48 units of housing for the elderly. Federal and Maine state tax credits were essential to the project’s success. Housing Initiatives of New England’s project team consisting of George Lavigne and Kevin Morrisette of CWS Architects, Sutherland Conservation & Consulting, Becker Structural Engineers, Bennett Engineering, Ledgewood Construction, and Tony Castro & Company, retained significant architectural interior features such as the auditorium, corridors, and the central open stair. Historic windows were also restored and non-historic windows were replaced with new units. The large arched windows originally at the rear of the building were reopened and new windows also installed. The rehabilitation of Cony High School returned a vacant building to service while respecting local history and honoring the experience – and memories – of generations of local students.
For more information about this project, please contact Cyndy Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saco Firehouse Lofts, Saco
The Saco Central Fire Station was constructed in 1939 with financial assistance from the Public Works Administration, which underwrote construction of public buildings by private construction companies. Design elements, such as the doors with turned half-balusters over the glazing that resemble horse stall doors, and the cast stone horse heads on the keystones, recalled the horse-drawn era of firefighting. The station served as the central fire station until 2011 when it was replaced by a modern fire station at another site. The Saco City Council voted to demolish the historic station just weeks before Maine Preservation listed the station on its 2012 Most Endangered List. Fortunately, Housing Initiatives of New England purchased the building to rehabilitate it for a completely new use. The station was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in April 2013 which made the building eligible for federal and state historic tax credits. With the help of its project team – Richard Curtis & Associates, Sutherland Conservation & Consulting, Becker Structural Engineers, and Ledgewood Construction – Housing Initiatives of New England created four apartments on the second floor along with a fitness center on the first floor that retains the original open floor plan. This impressive restoration and rehabilitation project allows the old fire station to once again serve Saco, generates valuable tax income, and has preserved a treasured building in Maine’s eighth largest city.
For more information about this project, please contact Cyndy Taylor at email@example.com.
The Press Hotel, Portland
The tapestry brick and stone Gannett Building, located in Portland’s historic Old Port, was constructed in 1923 and enlarged in 1947 as offices and the printing plant for the Portland Press Herald, Maine’s largest newspaper. It served as its headquarters until 2010, when the Press Herald moved to another location. In 2012, developer Jim Brady put the building under contract and announced plans to open the city’s first independent boutique hotel. Aptly named The Press Hotel, it retains many original architectural details, including vintage exterior lettering and the newspaper’s ‘City Room’ now repurposed as the Inkwell Bar. Many artifacts here have also been preserved, including a scale used for weighing the huge rolls of newsprint, and the original staircases and banisters. Rehabilitation was completed and the LEED certified building opened to the public in May 2015. With the help of state and federal tax credits, Brady and his team – David Lloyd of Archetype Architects, Tremont Preservation Services, Fay, Spofford & Thorndike, Wright-Ryan Construction, Sasaki Associates, Stonehill & Taylor, The VIA Agency, Press Hotel Manager Michael Strejcek, Kugler Ning, and Sebago Technics – paid tribute to an enduring publishing legacy, while re-imagining a prominent Portland landmark.
For more information about this project, please contact Jim Brady at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Mill at Dover-Foxcroft, Dover-Foxcroft
Foxcroft Mill is located on the west side of the Piscataquis River in downtown Dover-Foxcroft. The mill complex comprises seven buildings and three structures that represent types, styles, and methods of construction used for mill buildings in Maine between 1840 and 1940. The mill was an economic engine for the Dover-Foxcroft community for 163 years. But operations ceased in 2007, and the American Woolen Company abandoned the mill. The challenging economic climate, combined with the destitute state of the mill, posed significant obstacles to revitalization and adaptive use. The total renovation of the 110,000-square-foot complex by Arnold Development included extensive structural repairs across a variety of building types and materials—from roofing, sandblasting, and historic window replacement to detailed interior finishes. The Mill at Dover- Foxcroft represents the largest private investment in Piscataquis County in decades, and is an excellent example of a public private collaboration, with team members including Arnold Development, Todd Howard and Christian Arnold of Clockwork Architecture + Design, Sutherland Conservation & Consulting, Wright-Ryan, Coastal Enterprises, Inc., and Maine Community Foundation. In response to community planning that captured a series of community needs, the $12.4 million project, which received state and federal tax credits, resulted in a complete revitalization and conversion of the former mill complex into a mixed-use development, which includes a high-tech business center, 22 market-rate apartments, space for retail shops and offices, studio space for artisans, and an Internet cafe. It also includes a restaurant and a boutique hotel. The revitalized mill is an excellent example of the positive results of community impact investing. With working and living space, as well as a year-round farmer’s market, the mill in the heart of the town is again an integral part of Dover-Foxcroft’s community and economy.
For more information about this project, please contact Arnold Development at email@example.com.
Saco Island Apartments, Saco
The center portion of the York Engine/Boiler House was built in 1880 to supply power to the mill buildings in the York Manufacturing Company complex. Continued expansion of the mill paralleled enlargement of the Boiler/Engine House in the early 20th century. The York Manufacturing Company profited during WWI, but by the time the stock market crashed in 1929, the looms had ceased production under the original management. The company was acquired by several different entities before the last occupants left the building in 1985. After sitting vacant for nearly 30 years, David Bateman and Building 108 Associates, Archetype Architects, Portland Builders, and Tremont Preservation Services worked closely with the Maine State Housing Authority and the City of Saco to rehabilitate the turn of the century Boiler/Engine House into workforce housing apartments, now called Saco Island Apartments. Other key contributing members of the project team include Ron Ward of Drummond Woodsum, Bangor Savings Bank and Michel Associates, LTD. Maine Preservation is also a partner in this federal and state historic tax credit project. Rehabilitation efforts here preserved a living reminder of Saco’s industrial past while giving the mill a new lease on life with striking residential units that overlook the river and dam.
For more information on this project, please contact Bateman Partners at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inn at Diamond Cove, Great Diamond Island, Portland
The establishment of the US Army’s Fort McKinley on Great Diamond Island was part of larger effort by the government to provide strategic harbor defenses throughout the country at the end of the 19th century. The 200 acres on the northern half of the island comprised the largest of four Maine coastal forts. As modern weaponry made existing harbor defenses obsolete, the government dissolved the Coast Artillery and abandoned the forts. Fort McKinley passed through several owners before David Bateman acquired the entire property in 1984 and began the effort to revitalize the fort into a resort community, building by building. The Double Barracks needed major structural repairs due to water infiltration and decades of abandonment. In executing its plan to recreate the Double Barracks as an island inn, Bateman and his team consisting of Nathan Bateman, Aaron Bateman, David Lloyd of Archetype Architects, Christine Beard of Tremont Preservation Services, Ron Ward of Drummond Woodsum, Katahdin Trust, and Portland Builders repaired the slate roofs, reused wooden joists and platforms that remained solid, re-pointed brick walls, rebuilt one brick wall and installed finishes. Maine Preservation is also a partner in this project. But two years ago, when the project was 95% complete, a fire broke out and burned all of the interior structure and finishes. Only the historic brick walls— built to military standards with hot fired bricks and Portland cement mortar — were left. Those surviving walls permitted the National Park Service and Maine Historic Preservation Commission to determine that historic tax credits could still be used to help rebuild. Salvaging those walls and reconstructing the rest of the building preserved the physical memory of the Double Barracks while rehabilitating the space into a functional resort. This project defied all odds, twice transforming a collapsing building into an integral part of the Fort McKinley historic complex, and reminding us all that preservation and persistence yield stupendous results.
For more information on this project, please contact Bateman Partners at email@example.com.
Earle G. Shettleworth, Jr. Preservation Champion Award
Earle Shettleworth presented the first Earle G. Shettleworth, Jr. Preservation Champion Award to David H. Bateman of Bateman Partners, recognizing a remarkable 38-year record of development projects, primarily in Maine, that have invested more than $100 million in our state’s economy and have resulted in quality commercial and residential properties that have benefited thousands of Mainers.
Bateman was one of the first Maine developers to use federal and later state historic rehabilitation tax credits. Through his efforts, several significant landmarks in Southern Maine have been saved and given new purpose. Extending from the late 1970s to the present, this impressive list includes the Summer Street Block in Biddeford, Safford House in Portland, Baxter Library in Portland, and Cummings Mill in South Berwick.
Of all of his projects, David Bateman’s greatest labor of love has been Fort McKinley on Great Diamond Island in Casco Bay. Built by the U.S. Army in 1902-04, this fort was constructed as part of an early 20th century upgrading of the coastal artillery defenses of Portland Harbor. Decommissioned after the Korean War, Fort McKinley’s 34 red brick buildings were vacant and deteriorating by the 1980s. Bateman entered the picture in 1984 with the exciting concept of transforming the fort into an attractive residential community, and for the next three decades he pursued that concept, building-by-building, often against great odds. The final piece of this project fell into place with the recent opening of his 33rd rehabilitated building at Fort McKinley: The Inn at Diamond Cove, the successful conversion of a former enlisted barracks into a 44 room hotel.
As an architect, David Bateman has displayed an appreciation for old buildings and a commitment to their preservation through sensitive and creative design solutions. He is a can-do person who pursues his visions with great determination in order to achieve his goals. His career embodies the words of the Chicago architect Daniel Burnham: “Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men’s blood. Make big plans, aim high in hope and work. Let your watchword be order and your beacon beauty. Think big.”