Historic Real Estate
Hugh McCulloch House
Summer Street Kennebunk, Maine 04043
Click here to view a walkthrough of the McCulloch House, including a large number of photographs, in .pdf format.
Thomas Wiswell is believed to have constructed the McCulloch House ca. 1782. Wiswell willed the property to his son-in-law Dr. Thatcher Goddard. In 1801 the prominent local shipbuilder and West Indies merchant Hugh McCulloch purchased the property from Goddard. McCulloch fathered his son and namesake Hugh McCulloch in 1808. The son was educated at Bowdoin College, studied law in Boston and became President of the Bank of Indiana at age 25. Although he lobbied against the National Currency Act, after it passed, he was named the first Comptroller of the Currency (1863-1865), setting up the first national currency and chartering 868 national banks. McCulloch wrote Advice to Bankers of 1863, urging “a straightforward, upright, legitimate banking business…. Never be tempted by the prospect of large returns to do anything but what may be properly done.” He then drafted the National Banking Act of 1864, which remains the foundation of the national banking system. In 1865 Lincoln appointed him U.S. Treasury Secretary and he also served for Presidents Johnson and Arthur. The building has remained in the McCulloch family and is on the market for the first time since they purchased it in 1801.
The Hugh McCulloch House stands stately amongst the surrounding historic buildings on Summer Street in Kennebunk. Located on 7 acres along the Kennebunk River, the two–and-a-half story McCulloch House is significant for its late-18th-century Georgian architecture and its association with American history. Clad in wood clapboards it is painted a period-appropriate yellow with white trim and historic dark green window shutters. Character-defining features such as the handsome façade, hipped roof, large central chimney and historic twelve-over-eight double-hung windows are original features of its Georgian-style architecture. Sliding pocket “Indian” shutters are found on the interior of the building. A quaint painted wood fence separates the property from the adjacent Summer Street. A stone walkway leads to the centrally located projecting front entrance. The six-paneled wood door is flanked by three-lite sidelights and pilasters with a roof balustrade. Modern alterations include a rear sunroom and deck and a detached garage.
The interior of the McCulloch House also includes significant elements, including original stairways, raised panel walls, floors, doors and hardware. The second floor has two hinged walls that could be lifted and fastened to transform the eastern side of this floor into a single ballroom or meeting room. Early furnishings, much of which are also for sale, include renowned clockmaker Simon Willard’s irreplaceable handcrafted tall clock warranted to the first Hugh McCulloch that still resides in the entrance foyer. Willard produced his clocks outside of Boston, where he catered to acclaimed clients including Thomas Jefferson. Sections of early wallpaper are notable due to their condition and rarity. The southwest living room has beautiful ca. 1825 wallpaper with border in excellent condition. An adjoining closet interior has retained exceptionally rare 1785 wallpaper struck as the nation was forming, which depicts July 4th, 1776. These and other features comprise the many connections that the McCulloch House has to the development of early America.
Selling Price: $598,000
Documents and Support Material
2016.07.11_McCulloch House Walk Through Brochure.pdf
Property Type: House
Notes: Constructed ca. 1782 by Thomas Wiswell, in McCulloch ownership 1801-2016; 3,621 sq. ft.
Contact Name: Greg Paxton
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (207) 232-5995