Historic Real Estate
SOLD! Robbins-Anderson Saltwater Farm
130 St. George Rd. / Route 131 South Thomaston, Maine 04858
Constructed ca. 1795, the Robbins-Anderson House sits on property first settled by Oliver Robbins and his wife in 1765, the first family to settle the town of South Thomaston, Maine. Owl’s Head Baptist Church traces its founding to its first meeting held in the Robbins’ barn in 1786. The current house is likely the second built on the property. The Robbins family continued to own the property through the 19th century. About 1900, Isaac and Rosa Anderson, natives of Finland, purchased the property and it has remained in the Anderson family since that time. In the early 20th century, the Andersons donated a small piece of their land for the Finnish Congregational Church which is down the road from the farmstead.
The Robbins-Anderson House is a large-scale hip-roof structure with Georgian and Federal details and an extended ell. A ca. 1870 renovation added a Greek Revival/Italianate central staircase and balustrade and 6/6-light windows throughout. This solidly built house sits on 5 acres of property on good farm soils and is well-suited for organic farming. This parcel is surrounded by 200 acres permanently owned by a land trust. The land trust parcel backs up to the 750-acre State-owned R. Waldo Tyler Wildlife Management Area, which has been called, “the most productive and species-diverse shorebird roosting and feeding area in the Midcoast and Penobscot Bay regions.” The house has an expansive view into the St. George River, which forms Thomaston’s bay. There is also the opportunity to purchase an additional 38 acres with good farm soils located directly across Rt. 131/St. George Road from the farmstead. This second parcel has more than 1500 feet of frontage on the tidal bay. The property is located just 4 miles from the thriving town of Rockland, and 12 miles from scenic Camden, both of which offer unique shopping and dining opportunities, as well as cultural activities, including museums, art galleries, and performance venues. Other nearby historic maritime and resort communities include Port Clyde (13 miles), Tenants Harbor (9 miles), and Owl's Head (8 miles). The property is offered through the Maine Preservation Protect & Sell Program with a preservation easement and rehabilitation agreement. The purchaser must demonstrate that they can proceed with rehabilitation. The house needs substantial rehabilitation.
Notes: $85,000 for the House and 5 acres.
Contact Name: Greg Paxton
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (207) 232-5995